A will is a legal document that states how a person wishes his or her assets to be distributed after he or she dies. If someone dies without a will — which is called dying intestate — the laws of the State of North Carolina decide how the assets of its residents are distributed.
A will gives a person control over what and to whom their assets go after they have died.
Most people discover that preparing a will gives them peace of mind. You should consider finding an experienced Cumberland will lawyer.
Some people want to know if they can prepare a will by themselves. As a resident of Cumberland, North Carolina, to ensure your will does exactly what you want, it is best to hire a Cumberland attorney, rather than attempt to write the will yourself.
Only a Cumberland wills attorney attorney who is an expert in the specific laws of the state and who knows all recent changes made in the laws can ensure your assets will be distributed as you wish. It is important that the attorney gets to know you and your family situation in order to accurately translate your wishes into the will.
Among the most important reasons for having a will are:
• To be sure your assets are distributed according to your wishes
• To determine who, whether a relative or an institution such as a bank, distributes these assets
• To name the person you wish to care for any dependent children or other dependents
• To write the will to take the most advantage possible of current tax laws, which change often
• To keep the will current with the changes in your own financial situation
If you wish to have help by an expert in preparing wills, contact our Cumberland will lawyers at Kelly & West today. We will meet with you in a private setting to discuss your options.