January 26, 2016
Skip the Speeding Ticket: 9 Tips for Safe Driving
Driving seems like second nature sometimes. Mindlessly driving the same route every day can be dangerous, and when we get too comfortable accidents can happen. Over time we forget about the rules and tips we learned back in driver’s education and let memory and habit take over.
Avoid speeding tickets, DWIs, and other traffic violations. This new year make the resolution to be a more attentive driver and follow these tips in order to get where you’re going safely.
Everyday Driving Tips:
1. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT.
2. Follow speed limits and signs. They are there for a reason.
3. Keep your eyes moving by checking your mirrors and surrounding every 6-8 seconds. Moving your eyes can keep you attentive and aware of your surrounding.
4. Always use your turn signal.
5. Keep at least 4 seconds between you and other vehicles in order to allow enough space for stopping.
6. When you increase your speed, remember to also increase your braking distance. When your speed increases so does the needed distance for safe braking.
7. Always have your headlights on when the windshield wipers are on. It’s a law in North Carolina.
8. Keep an emergency kit (first aid, seatbelt cutter, glass breaker, blanket, poncho, etc.) in the car at all times.
9. Never drive under the influence of alcohol for your safety and the safety of those around you.
Winter Weather Driving Tips:
1. Never warm up your car in a garage or enclosed area.
2. Keep your gas tank at least half full in case of freezing.
3. Do not use the cruise control on slippery surfaces (rain, snow, ice).
4. Try to avoid using your parking brake in the cold, rain, or snow.
5. If snowing, increase your distance between cars to 8-10 seconds.
6. Make sure your windshield wiper reservoir is full. Use high quality “no-freeze” fluid.
7. Clear snow and ice off your car completely before driving.
8. Reduce your speed when driving in snow or ice. Speed limits are meant for dry roads, so alter according to the condition of the road.
9. Accelerate slowly to reduce the risk of hydroplaning.
Following these driving tips can help ensure your safety when getting from point A to point B. It is important to keep the winter weather driving tips in mind as snow and ice season approaches in North Carolina. On behalf of the attorneys at Kelly & West we hope you have a safe winter season.
“Reggie Kelly is a fantastic attorney with fantastic paralegals. My wife and I have been using him and his firm since 1983 when we first purchased property in Harnett County 37 years ago. He offers excellent legal advice and guidance. He never gets in a hurry to get us out the door because of his next appointment. He always takes the time needed to check out all of the issues that might come up. Reggie Kelly is a proud American and he loves our country and he wants everyone to do well. Reggie Kelly is an even finer person than he is a fantastic attorney and we are very fortunate to also be able to call him and his wife Cheryl our friends. We give him a 10 STAR Review!”